I have had the go ahead to try a new approach to writing in order to raise the levels of my struggling writers. I am now a part of the ALL writing intervention team which will focus on an accelerated learning approach to increase the levels of identified struggling writers.
The program will begin in week 1, term 2. The first step is to identify my writing group. To do this I have looked at students data, writing books, and what I have already noticed during group writing sessions this term.
I have found the selection process very tricky as their are a number of students who are right on the edge of needing intervention. After numerous discussions with colleagues about group sizes, I have narrowed my selection to eight students. The recommended group size is 6, however as this is also an inquiry and my reasons for eight students is valid, I will trial a group of eight next term.
The next thing I needed to consider was my timetable and the number of groups I have within the class. The ALL group must work with the teacher for 40minutes a day. I currently have three writing groups and see each group and minimum of twice a week. It has been suggested that I could try having four writing groups which would mean I could only get to see my top group once a week. After much deliberation around the number of groups, rotations, timetable etc, I have decided to keep my writing program with three writing groups. I will see my ALL group everyday and still be able to work with the rest of the groups 2-3 times a week. My reasoning for this, is so I am not completely changing my entire program. This will hopefully allow me to see whether it is the new teaching approach that is improving students learning because I won't have multiple variables such as smaller groups, more rotations etc that could be contributing to the changes. If the timetable doesn't work, I will be able to make the necessary changes and maybe introduce 4 groups if needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment