Saturday, 28 March 2015

New learning curve for me: First time teaching Year 5: 7-2-2015

New learning curve for me: First time teaching Year 5
7-2-2015
 
This year I am excited and nervous about becoming a Year 5 teacher for the first time. Whilst I know how to teach children in the upper end of the school, this year is going to be a new learning curve for me. I am currently trying to find the balance between what the students can currently do and my high expectations. I am finding that I am constantly reminding myself that the students are a whole year younger than my previous year group. I need to slow down my instructions, repeat myself more, and model my expectations more. Whilst it has been a terrific start to 2015 with an amazing bunch of students, I have already discovered that they need a lot more assistance when it comes to doing even the simplest of tasks (ruling up maths books, writing the date correctly, setting up books etc). Things that I took for granted because my previous Year 6 classes were good at these things. It is going to be an exciting year and I am really looking forward to watching all of my students develop and become inquiring, motivated learners

No comments:

Post a Comment